Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Life-long Learners ... (Me Too!)

"Mr. Bank, what are the seven wonders of the world?" - a student from honors World History today. Me, "Uhhm ..."

"Mr. Bank, Pocahontas married John Rolfe? I thought it was John Smith! Tell us the story!"

Me, "Well, see ... "

"Mr. Bank, what was the capital for the early slave trade in the New World?" Me, "You see .... "

And my favorite, "Mr. Bank can you explain to me the situation with China holding our debt? Is it really that scary?"

I got hit with these three questions all before 10 a.m. today.

When I don't know an answer, I fess up, get on Google, and get the students the answers as fast as I can. Sometimes I roll it right into the lesson; other times I look up the info and share it a bit later.

But one thing's for sure: These kids are forcing me to be a life-long learner in ways I never anticipated.

Since starting teaching, my factual / conceptual knowledge of history and literature has gone through the roof ... I can only wonder just how much a 10 or 20-year veteran educator knows about his or her areas of expertise.

No comments:

Post a Comment