Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Teaching Like a Poet




Reflecting on our two week, intensive Pinnacle training, it's time to step back from the technology tool trees ... and take a look at the entire forest.

I became a teacher as part of a personal search for meaning. For me, it's always been about the big picture - how to live a life of meaning and purpose. I've consistently put content second to addressing the first order of business: How should one live his or her life?

Our Pinnacle facilitators repeatedly brought up the concept of meaning these past two weeks, in one form or another. I see that they get this concept ... to them tech tools and wired classrooms are wonderful.

But they, too, seem to understand we are here for a greater purpose.

By nature, we are spiritual and self-reflective creatures. I want to show my students the mystery in life. I want to dig deep into the good and bad, the beautiful, the wicked, and the sublime. I want to explore the depths of human nature with my students, and help mold them into self-aware, creative, reflective individuals.

Our world would be better off if we encouraged more poets. Forget "outside the box," let's leave the entire box behind.



No comments:

Post a Comment