Wednesday, May 4, 2011

The great Osama web search (and what it means)



A colleague pointed out to me that searches for Osama Bin Laden spiked radically nationwide following his death; most interesting was the number of teenagers who were on Google and Yahoo, trying to figure out the significance of this man.

"Interesting," I replied - "How cool that our teenagers have this info at their fingertips!"

"No, you are missing the point," replied my friend, "It's really sad our kids don't know who Osama is."

At this point I smiled a forced smile, trying to sort out all of the thoughts running together in my head.

My reply to him was something like this: I'm not at all surprised our kids don't know who Osama is. Our national priorities and values have been radically skewed and dangerously misplaced for years now - and things are only getting worse.

Values dear to my heart - hard work, discipline, individual freedom, the value of personal achievement - all of these have been collectively pushed onto the back burner.

Speaking to my 88 year-old grandmother over spring break, she explained to me that of course she grew up believing America was the greatest nation in the world. How things have changed.

No, I'm not at all surprised our kids don't know who Osama is. Remember our solemn oath to each other: "9/11 - Never Forget" ... ?

Guess what, America? We forgot.

1 comment:

  1. America is definately the greatest nation in the world. This blog reminds me of Darryl Wothey's song "Have you forgotten." It talks about how America kind of wanted to forget about what happened on 9/11 but he thought we should show the videos of the towers falling every day so that we can remember what Osama did to our nation and that we should be pissed off about it. I think most kids know who Osama is. Especially all teenagers. If they didn't know, they definitely know who he is now since he is dead.

    ReplyDelete