Friday, February 18, 2011

You're a teacher? Lucky you!

So, I was talking to this guy recently at the gym: He's a very cool fellow actually ... a martial arts instructor and an overall nice guy.

"Oh you're a teacher?" he asked. "Cool - great schedule and summers off!" As he popped off with this response, it was almost as if there were a hint of jealousy in his voice. He wasn't dismissive of my career - he just appeared to hold the opinion that it's not really all that hard.

How did the public's perception of our profession become so radically skewed?

"Oh, you're a karate instructor? What, you just threw a few punches ... broke a board or something, and now you strut around in a fancy uniform?"

Imagine if I'd have said that to him. I wouldn't be typing because my fingers would be broken - but you get the point.

I did speak up. I said that yes, I'm very lucky to be a teacher, and I added that this is the most challenging thing I've ever done.

No comments:

Post a Comment