Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Pitching My Clients



I just spent 4.5 hours pitching 90 clients - that's exhausting.

Here's a typical marketing pitch: Show up and sit in the lobby, then be greeted by the client. Enjoy a beverage as you set up the projector, and unpack your briefcase.

Pleasantries are exchanged, and you put on a 20 minute slideshow. They ask a few questions, and then you pack up, exchange business cards, and make plans for next steps.

The whole thing lasts an hour tops - two on the rarest of occasions.

Pitching my kids today, in an attempt to build buy-in for me and my course, was far more intense than any business presentation I've ever given.

I know how important the first day of school is (as Mr. Wong and all of my mentors have taught me) ... and this second semester I put every last ounce of energy into setting procedure and expectations. My voice is actually hoarse.

The first semester, I did exactly what Wong says not to do - I glossed over procedure and dove into material. My kids respected me, but overall classroom management needed tightened.

So, I plan to drill procedure and expectations for the first few weeks. I also rarely sit down - but these first few weeks my desk and I will be complete strangers during class time.

This is my plan and I'm sticking to it ... I'll report back!

1 comment:

  1. Hey Mr. Bank its Brandon Bates from last year. I just wanted to let you know I wrote my first college essay tonight and I'm pretty positive that I did well thanks to your class! I hope your classes this year are awesome, but not as awesome as we were(which is almost impossible). I'll hit you up on Facebook sometime.

    Brandon Bates

    ReplyDelete