Thursday, October 14, 2010

The Schoolhouse still Rocks!



As I began reviewing the basics of adverbs, prepositions, conjunctions, etc. with my seniors, it felt like I literally ran into a wall of apathy about three feet thick.

Wham! (To use an interjection) ... I bounced off, regrouped, and thought twice about my initial approach: A lecture and worksheet - with a hint of smart board tossed in.

So after thinking it over, I went straight for the classics: The next day I had my class website loaded with four videos from the Schoolhouse Rocks! series.

These short, animated videos were produced between 1973 and 1999 - so I wondered if they'd seem dreadfully outdated to my seniors.

However ... both classes, even the very "energetic" third period, sat transfixed and silent as they absorbed these cartoon classics. Once the visual & mental stimulation pump was primed, my students became far more receptive to everything else we did, grammar-wise.

I'm continuing to find that kicking off topics of study (basically all topics) with visual, audio and graphic interaction lays the groundwork for deeper, lasting comprehension with this generation of kids.

For those of you who'd like to reminisce a bit, here's a favorite from the Schoolhouse series:

Conjunction Junction

Discover Simple, Private Sharing at Drop.io

No comments:

Post a Comment