Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Semantics, technology, and differentiating instruction


I recently had a fascinating discussion with a veteran educator and principal about metrics, data-driven instruction, and coaxing teachers out of their comfort zones.

At the end of the day, it's about how students learn, not about how we prefer to teach, she explained. I couldn't agree more. That's why I incorporate technology so heavily into my lessons: Students are wired to learn differently than in the past.

The reality of learning is changing, like it or not. Even the meaning of words themselves is evolving: For our kids, words are something to click in order to reach more content - not necessarily something to be read and ingested to absorb meaning. This shift in semantics is profound, and needs to be understood by educators if we are to remain effective.

I'm not using technology because of the bells and whistles; I'm incorporating tech to provide more effective teaching, foster better communication with parents, and forge stronger collaboration among peers.

My formal, academic-ish philosophy of education can be found here.

No comments:

Post a Comment